Question / Issue
What do I need to do with my gun if I live in an apartment complex on campus that allows concealed handguns?
Answer / Solution
When not carried on or about a person, handguns must be in a Secure Storage Area, locked compartment of a locked vehicle, or a gun safe. Gun safes must meet the following requirements:
- Be large enough to fully contain all firearms placed in it and provide for secure storage.
- Have exterior walls constructed of a minimum 16-gauge steel.
- Have a high-strength locking system consisting of a mechanical or electronic combination or biometric lock, and not a key lock.
- Be certified to/listed as meeting Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container rating standards by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
- Be physically secured inside the license holder’s residence in a manner that conforms to University of Houston Resident Life and Housing policy.
Direct Link to This FAQ